In 2015, cult-hit show Portlandia aired an episode starring Steve Buscemi as a marketing man tasked with elevating the image of celery—at that point the least sexy vegetable on the planet. It was funny because it was true: charred and caramelized Brussels sprouts or roasted heirloom rainbow carrots were hot. Celery decidedly was not. But as of early 2019, the formerly lackluster produce is possibly the hottest vegetable around. If you haven’t noticed, everyone, from Novak Djokovic to Miranda Kerr to Jenna Dewan, is chugging celery juice every morning—and this global phenomenon was single-handedly started by the Medical Medium.
I had read and published (!) enthusiastic reports of daily celery juicing right here on PD, but it was encountering this otherworldly fresh-face of Jenna Dewan (age 38) that made me sit up straighter. As a professional dancer and a vegan actress, Jenna has always been one of my go-to’s for the latest food or fitness tip. So I had to do some deep diving and here’s what I found.
Who is the Medical Medium?
Anthony William, also known as Medical Medium, discovered that he had an intuition for detecting and healing illnesses when he was 4 years old. Soon it was verified by medical tests. He claims that he understands the unique healing properties and protocols that science has yet to discover, and that the “spirit” or the “divine voice” tells him what’s ailing people.
If that sounds questionable, at least it’s working for millions of people. His New York Times bestselling books have received enthusiastic blurbs from no less than Robert De Niro, Gwyneth Paltrow, Pharrell Williams, Naomi Campbell, and Rashida Jones, who all claim to have been enormously helped from chronic conditions by the MM. And it may not be so crazy if you consider the fact that the Medical Medium diet is essentially a plant-based diet largely based on raw fruits and vegetables, which has been shown in studies to prevent dozens of chronic illnesses as varied as asthma, eye diseases, dementia, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes.
Chronic conditions healed by the Medical Medium Diet
Personally, I don’t *currently* have a big physical malady save for a slightly funky/rusty jaw on the right side. But from 2016-2018, I’ve suffered from on-going issues that started with acne, dermatitis on my chest due to candida, to eczema (chest again), rosacea (chin), food allergies, and frequent viral infections (at least once a month in 2018). I was able to control my skin conditions only when my acupuncturist told me I had toxic build-up in my liver. I started to sleep more and reduce stress, and I did this yogurt mask recommended by Marie Veronique in order to finally vanquish chin rosacea by spring 2018.
Whenever I see a redness on my skin, I get very nervous. When I had redness all over my chest that didn’t go away for months, I felt helpless. I looked at what the Medical Medium had to say about chronic illnesses, including diabetes, weight issues, depression, anxiety, and autoimmune diseases.
Some of the testimonials are truly eye-opening…
7 Lessons From The Medical Medium
- MM names the most important culprits to modern ailments the Unforgiving Four: Radiation, heavy metals, viruses, and DDT.
- A perfect storm can be created when more than one of these factors are present. Disruptions to the skin can appear when a pathogen such as theEpstein-Barr virus is residing in the body and feeding off toxins such as the heavy metals copper and mercury. There are different strains of the same pathogen that have different appetites for different toxins. Approximately 1/3 copper and 1/3 mercury coincides with a virus that causes Psoriasis. According to the Medical Medium, you can get a different rash depending on which combination is present in your liver.
- His treatment protocols are mostly about healing foods. A high-raw, plant-based diet that is heavy on vegetables and fruits is recommended by him, as well as spices, herbs, and supplements.
- He promotes raw honey and fruit sugar. The Medical Medium believes that sugars present in fruits are essential for healing and therefore beneficial. Cane sugar, beet sugar, and other added sugars are not recommended by him.
- He says drinking a 16 oz glass of pure celery juice every morning on an empty stomach will rid your body of toxins and pathogens, and heal your chronic issues from inside out. Here’s how to make celery juice at home, without a juicer.
- He places a lot of emphasis on the health of the body. The foods that are good for the body are: celery, wild blueberries, dates, bananas, mangoes, papaya, cilantro, lemon, cherries, all berries, apples, lettuce, artichokes, lime, asparagus, oranges, barley grass, and spirulina. A lot of these are affordable and accessible.
- There are energetic lessons from food itself. This is the part I actually really appreciate (almost in spite of myself) about the Medical Medium’s Life-Changing Foods book. He gives advice on how to use the prevailing energy of the food to give your spirit what it needs, such as grapes for overcoming rejection and insecurity, bananas for courage and productivity, and berries for a feeling of abundance. For example, he says: “Grazing between meals with a handful of berries can raise your body’s frequency to a more positive, peaceful state.” I’ve definitely felt this, especially with fresh, organic strawberries from the local farmer’s market. Spot-on! In fact, the Medical Medium gets deep into spiritual dimension of healing and suggests you send your state of wellness back out to the universe with good deeds and intentions. I can live with that.
I went to the local organic store this morning to stock up on a variety of items, including bananas, apples, dates, spirulina powder, and clementines. It is too early to tell if eating raw vegan all day will help me with my health, but it has felt good to eat vegan all day. Replacing pasta and vegan chocolate chip cookies with bananas and celery will be a healthy switch if nothing else.
Do you agree with the idea of the Medical Medium?
Related: I Make Celery Juice Every Morning To Banish Bloating—No Juicer Needed!
My chronic conditions, fromrenal fatigue to depression, were healed by these 5 holistic protocols.
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
The article was first published in February of this year.
The photo is from the account of healthy_healer by Jenna Dewan.