The castor bean, also known as the Palma Christi due to its shape and healing properties, is known principally as a strong laxative if taken internally. However, a more gentle use for the castor oil is in the form of a pack placed externally on the abdomen. The oil is absorbed into lymphatic circulation providing a soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment which aids the body’s detoxification and elimination functions, enhances liver metabolism, balances the immune system, and improves lymphatic circulation. The castor oil pack may become one of the most valuable components of your treatment plan.
The castor oil pack can be used for numerous symptoms and disease states.
It can be used for:
- Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the most common of the many digestive disorders.
- There are male and female complaints of the uterus, ovarian cysts, premenstrual syndrome, and conditions of the prostrate.
- There are some conditions related to hormonal imbalance.
- Almost all inflammatory conditions.
- stress management
- Colds, immune boosting, etc., are part of general detoxification.
The castor oil pack may be modified and used during pregnancy and malignancy by eliminating the application of heat to the abdomen. Some patients notice an increase in blood flow when applying heat to the abdomen during menstruation and choose to do their packs without heat as well.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Organic castor oil
- There is a white cotton flannel that is large enough to cover your abdomen.
- There is an old towel or plastic wrap.
- There is a hot water bottle or heating pad that can be used.
WHAT TO DO:
- Drizzle approximately 1/4 cup of castor oil onto the flannel, and then fold it in half to saturate it.
Note: During the first several weeks you will have to apply a tablespoon of oil about every 3-4 days. Eventually the pack will be saturated enough that reapplication of oil should only be needed every couple of weeks. The pack should not be dripping with oil. As an example, it should have just enough oil to make a slight oil mark on furniture as if you were going to polish it.
- Lie on your back and place flannel on your body.
- It’s a good idea to cover the flannel with an old towel or plastic wrap to prevent it from being stained by castor oil.
- If you want to get the oil into the skin, place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack.
- For the most powerful treatment results, relax for at least 45 minutes. This is a great time to practice visualization, meditation, deep breathing exercises, listen to classical music, and sleep. Some people wear the pack all night long and use an ace bandage to keep it in place.
- You can either remove the oil with warm water and soap in the shower or you can allow the oil to absorb into your skin.
- The pack should be stored in a large zip lock bag. Adding more oil to the pack will keep it saturated. The pack should be replaced after it begins to change colors. flannel should not be washed
- The pack needs to be applied as often as possible for maximum effectiveness. The pack should be used for at least 4 days per week. Patients who use the pack daily will receive the most beneficial effects.