The most dangerous garage door parts are the garage door springs. More than 30,000 people are injured each year by garage doors. People die in accidents. underestimating the power and potential of garage door springs is a serious threat.
The garage door springs are made of steel. They wear out. During a spring break, it can strike anything near. The life of a garage door spring is determined by the number of times it is raised and lowered. The older it is, the more likely it will fail.
Professional Inspection A Timely Course of Action
Regular garage door inspections by a professional garage door broken springs is a wise investment. There is never a good time for your garage door to stop moving and prevention is important.
If your garage door has two springs, you should replace them. Both springs are subjected to the same open/close cycles and if one fails the other is a candidate for failure very soon.
The garage door is the largest part of the home. It hangs above your head and can weigh over 400 pounds. You, your family and your possessions are at risk if you don’t take the routine care of this piece of technology.
Temperature Affects Garage Door Torsion Springs’ Performance
When it is cold in Madison, Wisconsin, metal parts don’t respond as well as they would if it were warm. In the cold metal can become brittle. As the season changes, the coiled steel springs that are weakened by age and stress present more of a problem.
The garage door should be in top shape all year.
- If your garage door is making noise, it could be telling you something. Does it open and close like it should, or does it fall a few inches? Being aware of change is the first step to avoiding a serious situation in the future.
- Go over your garage door parts regularly to make sure they are in good shape.
- There are some things you can and should do, plus others you should leave to the pros.
Do not use WD-40 on garage door springs. lubrication is not one of the specific uses ofwd-40 It is recommended to use a lubricating product for garage door springs.
- The owners manual is designed to keep you safe and your garage door working. Ask a trained professional if you have questions.
- Changing garage door springs is one project that is best left alone, even if you think you can do it yourself. It takes training, experience and job specific tools to make sure the job is done correctly. The garage door springs are broken. In a fraction of a second, there can be disastrous consequences.
If the wrong tool is applied in the wrong position, it can be launched like a missile. bones have been broken, walls have been penetrated and people have been killed.
- Make notes if you see signs of weakness and get your garage door installation professional in for a review as quickly as possible. The lifespan of the garage door depends on how often you use it. Today’s architecture and lifestyles make the garage door the primary point of entry for more and more people, and owners don’t think their garage door parts are lasting as long as they used to
The garage door spring should last about 10,000 up/down cycles. It should be from five to seven years. Heavy duty springs could increase that to 50,000 cycles. The life of one door may be longer than the other in a home with multiple garage doors. It makes sense to inspect garage door springs more often after five years.
The trained professionals at Northland Door Systems are able to provide timely service, repair and installation of all garage door parts. You can get the right garage door springs and parts from the widest selection in the area.
Call or email us for professional assistance with garage door maintenance, opener installation and repair, and a huge selection of garage door parts and garage door springs.
Only one of these garage door springs broke, but it is a good idea to replace them both at the same time, as the second one is the same age and is just another service call waiting to happen.