The lungs are an essential part of the respiratory system and are responsible for taking in oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide when we exhale. Keeping them healthy is important because they never rest. It is a good practice to cleanse the lungs on a regular basis.
A lung cleanse helps cleanse the respiratory linings of the bronchial passages and lungs, which often have an accumulate of environmental toxins, harmful organisms and irritants.
It promotes normal lung functioning, reduces swelling and inflammation, and revives lung strength and vitality. It improves circulation to the lungs by helping clear mucus from the airways.
Chronic bronchitis, asthma, throat infections as well as bad breath can be treated with it. The lungs are not a very complex area to clean. You can do it with some home remedies and lifestyle changes.
There are a number of ways to cleanse and purify your lungs.
1. Deep Breathing
Deep breathing can help improve lung capacity by delivering more nourishing oxygen to your body. This will strengthen your lungs, clear the airways and cleanse them. Furthermore, it will increase energy and reduce stress.
- Lie down on your back in a comfortable position.
- The rib cage is at the base of your stomach.
- You should close your eyes. You can count to 5 by breathing deeply through your nose.
- Slowly breathe out to a count of 5 after holding your breath for a couple of seconds.
- You should repeat 9 or 10 times per session.
- This breathing exercise can be done 2 or 3 times a day.
2. Castor Oil Pack
For lung cleansing, you can use a homemade pack of castor oil. A pack of castor oil stimulates waste elimination and helps draw toxins out of the lungs, uterus, and other parts of the body. Inflammation is reduced and the circulation of the blood is improved.
The pack can be made with only organic, cold-pressed castor oil.
- 2 or 3 pieces of wool flannel should be soaked in a cup of warm castor oil.
- Lie down on a large sheet of plastic.
- The wool flannels should be put over your chest and sides.
- The flannels should be covered with a large plastic sheet.
- Put a heating pad over the plastic sheet for a while.
- After removing the packs, rinse your body off with warm water to get rid of the oil.
- For at least a month, you should repeat 2 times a week.
Oregano is rich in compounds that act as lung-cleaning elements. Reducing inflammation and congestion in the lungs and improving the health of your respiratory tract can be achieved with the help of the herb.
- If you suffer from asthma or other respiratory problems, you should drink 2 cups of oregano tea daily. The tea can be made by steeping fresh or dried oregano in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Add a few drops of oregano oil to a glass of warm milk or tea and drink it at least once a day to help rid your lungs.
- Fresh or dried oregano can be used in your cooking.
Another effective herb that can cleanse your lungs is licorice. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help reduce inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
Its antibacterial and antiviral properties help prevent and treat mild lung infections, as well as reduce lung irritation due to a sore throat, a dry cough or allergen exposure.
The antimycobacterial and anti-legionella activity of licorice roots was noted in a study published in 2002.
- If you are suffering from respiratory or lung problems, drink 2 to 3 cups of Licorice root tea. If you want to make it, add a cup of hot water, cover it, and steep it for 10 minutes.
- One option is to mix 12 of the powder with a little honey and have it twice daily for a few days.
Note: This herb may not be suitable for pregnant women, infants and people who have diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease or low potassium levels.
ginger can also be used to clear your lungs. It contains a number of chemical compounds that help the lungs function more effectively by eliminating air pollutants from the air passages before they irritate the lungs. Blood circulation is improved by it.
In the treatment of lung cancer, ginger can be helpful. A 2012 study published in Anticancer Agents in Medical Chemistry shows that ginger extracts can be used to fight lung cancer.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea every day to strengthen your lungs. The ginger should be boiled in 1 or 112 cups of water to make the tea. Allow it to cook for a few minutes. Add a little lemon juice and honey to make it taste better.
- You should include raw ginger in your cooking. After consulting with your doctor, you can take a supplement.
Note: People who take heart or high blood-pressure medication should avoid taking ginger in excess.
Peppermint is another good option for naturally cleansing your lungs. Peppermint and peppermint oil contain menthol that helps relax the smooth muscles of the respiratory tract. This promotes effortless breathing and helps clear symptoms of any upper respiratory congestion.
According to a 2010 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, the anti-congestive, antispasmodic and expectorant properties of peppermint oil helped relax the trachea in rats.
- If you have strong lungs, chew 3 to 5 leaves of peppermint each day.
- If you want to treat congestion, add a few drops of peppermint oil to a pot of hot water and breathe in the steam.
- It is possible to drink 2 cups of tea daily. To make the tea, add a cup of hot water and a small amount of dried peppermint leaves. For 5 to 10 minutes, cover and steep.
Note: Do not use this herb if you have a history of gallstones.
7. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Due to its antiseptic and expectorant properties, eumuno essential oil is very beneficial for the lungs. This oil can help with a cough, fight congestion and soothe irritated sinuses.
A study published in the Alternative Medicine Review stated that cineole has immune-stimulatory, antispasmodic and anti-oxidant effects.
- Add a pot of hot water with some drops of essential oil.
- If you want to take in the steam, cover your head with a towel and bend your head over the pan.
- If you suffer from congestion, you can do a steam inhalation for 5 to 10 minutes once or twice a day.
lobelia is an herb that can help you relax and clear your lungs. The expulsion of phlegm is aided by the alkaloid in it, known as lobeline.
It relaxes the airways for easy breathing by stimulating the release of a drug called Epistein. This compound may help reduce the effects of nicotine in the body, according to researchers.
- Add a pot of boiling water with some leaves of lobelia. Take 5 minutes to steep and then breathe in the steam. You can cleanse your lungs for a few days by doing this for 10 minutes each morning and evening.
- The herb can be taken in the form of tea or a liquid. If you want to take it under the supervision of a qualified herbal practioner, you need to know that this herb can be potentially toxic.
Note: Pregnant women, nursing mothers and people with heart disease or high blood pressure should not take this herb.
9. Improve Air Quality
The air you breathe has a big impact on lung health. You don’t have control over outdoor air pollution, but you can improve your indoor air quality where you spend most of your time.
Regular use of chemical-based cleaners, air fresheners, and other scent causes the indoor air to be as contaminated as the outdoor air.
Carbon monoxide, radon gas, formaldehyde, benzene, ammonia, and trichloroethylene can cause harm to your lungs if they are indoors.
- Dirt and dust can be removed with regular cleaning, dusting, and mopping.
- Proper cleaning can be achieved with a vacuum cleaner that has good quality filters and rotating brushes.
- The use of harsh cleaners and cleaners with strong fragrances should be minimized. If you want to clean, switch to non-toxic alternatives.
- If you use aerosol sprays with chemicals, avoid them.
- You should use at least 2 houseplants per 100 square feet of space. The plants should be in pots of 10 to 12 inches.
- Ensure that there is adequate air movement.
- Proper humidity level can be maintained by using a good quality humidifier.
- You should make your home a no-smoking zone.
10. Lung-Cleansing Foods
Foods you eat can affect the health of your lungs. A healthy diet strengthens the immune system and stimulates the body’s natural cleansing mechanisms.
- Start your day with a glass of lemon water and make sure to drink a lot of water throughout the day. Proper hydration helps with the cleansing process.
- Fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins C and E are like grapefruit, kiwi, bell peppers, oranges, tomatoes, strawberries, broccoli, and pineapples.
- Contribute to the health of your body by including foods like garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, ginger, oregano, turmeric, apples and green tea in your diet.
- Lentils and black beans have high levels of folate.
- Foods that contain trans-fat and saturated fat should be avoided.
- You can take a hot shower or sauna to help with the body’s detoxification process.
- You can quit smoking. Secondhand smoke can be avoided if you are exposed to it.
- To increase lung capacity, you have to exercise daily.
- If possible, exercise outdoors in an open area, away from traffic and pollution.
- Highly polluted and industrialized areas are not to be avoided.
- Don’t drink alcohol, drink coffee and drink sodas.
- It is possible to increase lung strength by playing a wind instrument.